Smokeball users can use the Credit Memo feature to issue credits to a client. These credits can be applied to a prior balance or a future invoice. Credits also allow firms to pay for an expense and then pass that expense through to their clients. If the firm receives a partial or full reimbursement, the firm can give that amount back to the client in the form of a credit.
How to Add a Credit Memo
- Credit Memo's can be added in several spots throughout Smokeball.
- From the Quick Add screen in Smokeball Billing:
- From the Matter and Contact screen:
- From the Transactions tab in a matter in Smokeball Billing:
- From the Global Screen in Smokeball Billing:
- When a user selects to add a credit, a pop-up will appear, allowing the user to input the credit's details.
Applying a credit to an invoice
- To incorporate Credit Memos in to Finalize with Payments, settings are updated under the Accounts (1) > Finalize with Payments (2) section to include Credit. Credit will be in the first position as default, but clients may reorder to their desire.
- On a draft invoice upon finalizing (1), you will be able to apply credit (2). This will show on the invoice.
- Applied Credits will appear on the invoice in the totals section as well as the payment summary.
Credits, Bulk Finalize, and Pay
- Credits can be incorporated in to your Bulk Finalize and Pay process:
- Select the ‘At least $xx in Credit’ filter to only show matters with a draft invoice with a credit balance.
Credit Memo Ledger
- A ledger has been added for Credit Memos. These ledgers will show all credits entered or applied ot their respective sections
- When viewing invoice lists (1) on a matter, contact, or global level, a credit column (2) has been added to show credits applied to that invoice.
- Credits (1) applied will also appear on the right totals panel when viewing a finalized invoice. Credit (2) that can be used to apply to the invoice will also show here.
- Available credits (1) will also show in the top right totals. Clicking on the credit balance will take you to the Credit Memo Ledger.
Applying Credit to Outstanding Invoices
- Credits can also be applied to an outstanding invoice be selecting Add Payment and choosing credit as the payment type.
Credit Memos and Reporting
- The Account Statements, Accounts Receivable, Invoice History, Ledger Export, and Matter Balances all include column(s) for credit. In addition to these reports, a new report titled Credit History has been created to show all credits added and applied.