Time is displayed in decimal units indicating a fraction of an hour on invoices and when manually entering time.
When using time increments other than the standard 6-minute or 15-minute interval, it can be difficult to enter time as a decimal.
Time in Units will help do the math of converting your time duration into a decimal.
Entering Time in Units
- When entering time using the New Time/Fee Entry button within the matter, Quick Add form, or the Time Entry Review panel, you now have the option to view your time entries in units as a duration.
- If you select "Units", enter your time according to your billing increment setting. For example:
- If your billing increment is set to 1 minute and you want to create a fee with a duration of 32 minutes, enter '32' in the "Duration" field.
- If your billing increment is set to 6 minutes and you want to create a fee with a duration of 24 minutes, then enter '4' in the "Duration" field.
New Time/Fee Entry Window:
Quick Add Form:
- After you enter the duration, switching between "Units" and "Hours" will calculate the fee based on the two value types. The "Hours" field is now rounded to 5 decimal points for accuracy.
- Also, use the "Time" field for better insight as to the exact hours and minutes you are entering.
Set Time in Units as Default
- If you wish to enter your time in units by default, this can be configured here: Firm Settings > Staff & Users > Staff > Billing.