This article will show you how to:
- Create a Criminal matter
- Enter Court Details
- Add Uncommon Contacts
- Change existing General matter to Criminal General
- Subscribe to the Criminal Precedent Profile
- Click New Matter from the Home Screen.
- Select State: SA.
- Select Matter Type: Criminal General.
- Select which party you are acting for (Defendant or Prosecution):
- Enter the party details - see Adding Contacts for more information on adding contacts.
- Select 'Court Details' to enter the Case Number, Registry and Court:
- Enter the Court within the Court Details window. This will add the Court contact to your matter the same as any other contact card, allowing you to contact the Court and ensure automation works correctly. You do not need to add the Court as an additional contact outside of the Court Details window:
- See Adding Courts for more information on adding Court contact cards generally.
- To add Uncommon Contacts to your matter, open the Matter Settings and select the appropriate contact from the Parties & Data available in your matter.
For Criminal General (SA), the available parties include Barrister, Legal Services Commission, Correctional Services, Parole Board, Legal Agent, Expert, Witness, Process Server, Previous Solicitor and Additional Contacts:
Existing SA General matters can be easily changed to Criminal General as follows:
- Open your existing General matter (used for criminal matters)
- Open Matter Type
- Select change...
- Select new Matter Type as Criminal > Criminal General
- Select OK:
- Select which Party you are acting for (Defendant or Prosecution)
- Enter Reason For Change
- Select OK:
Your matter will now appear as 'Criminal General', with the party roles and layouts that are available in the Criminal General matter:
We have some new Criminal precedents and forms available in the Smokeball Precedent Library, including automated Magistrates Court Criminal Forms:
You can also 'Request a form' to have additional forms added to the Precedent Library!