To keep records of documents held by your firm on behalf of clients, use Smokeball’s Safe Custody feature.
Safe Custody is registered on Contacts, not for Matters.
How to access the Safe Custody register
The Safe Custody Register is located on Contact cards under the Safe Custody Register tab.
To access a contact card, select the Contacts icon on the left-hand side of the main Smokeball screen and then open an individual contact from the list.
Alternatively, access Safe Custody from within a matter by simply opening the contact card or by right-clicking on the contact name and selecting Open Safe Custody Register.
Add a new packet
From the contact card, select New Packet. Enter the details relevant to this packet.
The External Ref. field is used to document any reference numbers related to the Safe Custody packet, such as barcode numbers.
- The Packet Numbers can automatically populate in the Settings (recommended after all historical data has been entered).
- To add a second contact related to this packet, select Add another under the Contacts name. This must be done when creating the packet, you cannot add a contact at a later date.
- You cannot alter an individual packet number once it has been set.
- All existing packets related to the contact will appear in the left-hand column and once selected, the packet information will display at the bottom.
- To edit the location or notes once created, users can select the pencil icon when hovering over the packet name.
Add a new document
New documents can be added to an existing packet for the contact. There is no limit to the number of documents that can be recorded in the register.
A document can only be added once a packet is available on the contact.
You can also upload digital documents to the Safe Custody register as an attachment.
- The External Ref. field is used to document any reference numbers related to the Safe Custody packet, such as barcode numbers.
- When adding a packet, the Storage location will always display the last entry.
Configuring Safe Custody settings
Safe Custody Settings are available from any Safe Custody tab and are firm-wide settings, not specific to this contact or user.
From Settings, you can:
- Set to manual or auto for Packet Numbers. Using auto packet numbers, you can set the starting number and the number of digits in your required number format.
- Enter new Document Types to be used across Safe Custody - by entering the name and clicking Add button
- Delete existing Document Types that have been provided in the standard list
Reporting on and Searching the Safe Custody register
Reporting on the Safe Custody register is available from the Smokeball Reports tab.
To access the report:
- Select Reports from the left menu.
- Choose Safe Custody – Full List from the Report dropdown menu.
- To search the Safe Custody register, generate a report and filter it using the available options. Additionally, you can search through the list after generating the report.
Frequently Asked Questions
What information is required in order to save a Safe Custody packet?
Contacts must have an address to add a packet. The address requires a value in at least one of these fields to proceed:
- Street number
- Street name and type
How many Safe Custody packets can a contact have?
Contacts can have more than 1 packet.
How do I delete a Safe Custody packet?
Packets cannot be deleted.
What can I edit in a Safe Custody packet?
Only the location and notes can be edited.
How do I delete a Safe Custody document?
Once created, documents cannot be deleted.
What can I edit in a Safe Custody document?
Only the Document type, description, and movement status can be edited.