Even though matters are contingent, tracking every activity that you complete for a client is important. You'll have an accurate record of your time and your firm's billable time for a client and matter expenses to present if you need to file a fee petition for a case. Smokeball Billing allows you to track settlement deposits, make trust payments, print checks, and provide invoices to the client that document your contingency fees and expenses.
How to Utilize Auto:Time for Personal Injury Attorneys:
1. Set up your default billing rate and deselect "mark my time entries as billable" under the billing tab in Staff and Users settings
- When calculating the annual cost, take into account all expenses including rent, salary, and other bills. If unsure, try adding 10-15% to salary as a starting point.
- Smokeball will track all your activity in Activity Intelligence and create non-billable entries to show on an invoice in Smokeball Billing
2. You can easily Track Expenses for every matter in the Time & Expenses tab.
- Set up Activity Codes for common costs and expenses including medical records, police reports, witness fees, postage, filing fees, etc.
- Even though your fee is contingent, you can create a fee entry for whatever % agreed upon with each client and show on an invoice through Smokeball Billing.
3. Because Smokeball is automatically tracking activity and fees, there is a detailed description of all time spent on cases if you need to file for fees in court.
- Activity can be exported easily to a CSV format
4. Once you've closed a case, under Activity Intelligence: Performance Reporting, you will be able to understand your matter profitability.
Did you know...
- Here is a sample of what a final invoice receipt will look like in Smokeball Billing.
- You can also show on the invoice the remaining balance available in a trust account from a settlement check
- You can Print or Export Activity Intelligence to provide a full list of all activity done for a client.
- You can Add an Activity for anything activity not captured by Smokeball.