This article walks through how to send messages/files and review conversations/files using Communicate from a Smokeball user perspective.
There are three ways to send messages or files securely through a client's matter in Smokeball.
- If you are in a matter, you can select the Communicate Message button to start a conversation.
- Add any external or internal parties, compose your message, attach files, and share.
- You can also send a message from the Communicate tab on a matter or from the home screen.
- Select the "+" to add any external party or internal staff to be included in the conversation.
- Scroll down and select create.
- Once a conversation is created, easily send a message and attach any files.
- Type your message, attach any files, and select send.
- Note: You can also send your message as a SMS text message, but note that the message is from a "do not reply" number. Learn more about Communicate SMS Text Messages.
- Once a message is sent, any client or third party will receive a notification of the message.
- If your client or third party have not used Communicate yet, they will receive an email inviting them to view the files/messages. Review Communicate Client Experience for more information on the end user experience.
Communicate has a variety of read receipts. Once a message is read, the person's initials will appear by any message.
- If you ever are sending messages to external participants, Communicate has helpful notifications available.
- Communicate Messages can be sent and reviewed the Communicate Mobile App.
- Note: any files added on the Communicate App will be from your device. If you want to share Smokeball files, follow the steps above. However, shared files can be reviewed on the Communicate Mobile app.
- Learn more about the Communicate Mobile App.
- When you receive a message, you will receive an alert.
- Alerts are sent to your phone if you are also using the Communicate Mobile App.
- Messages can reviewed and edited from the Communicate tab.
- Select the kebab (vertical "...") to copy text, edit, create a task, or delete any message.
- If you receive an important message, you can choose to receive a reminder by selecting "remind me." Learn more about Communicate Reminders.
- Select any file or the files tab to review any files.
- Select any file to get a larger view and add comments directly related to any file.
- While reviewing any conversation:
- Add or remove participants ("manage participants")
- Export the conversation to a matter files list
- If you are looking for a specific conversation or part of a conversation, use the full text search.
- Communicate messages can also be popped open to another window.
- Messages and files can be reviewed on the Communicate Mobile App.
Did You Know
- Although the best practice is to always use Communicate in Smokeball, you can share files while in Outlook via Communicate by selecting "share file(s) via secure link."
- A link will be generated for your client or any third party to log into Communicate.
- Smokeball users can also log into Communicate on a web browser to review messages as well. Smokeball users must select the 'Sign in here' link to login
- All external clients and third parties must enter their email address to get a new secure link to access their conversations.
- Note: Not all files located in Smokeball will not be available to attach. The best practice is always to attach files from Smokeball.