Smokeball offers Two-Factor Authentication for increased security and peace of mind. Two-factor Authentication is method for users to add additional security to their account by requiring two separate, distinct forms of identification in order to access your account.
Enabling Two-Factor Authentication in Smokeball
- Two Factor Authentication can be managed via your user profile in the Staff list, which can be reached by going to Settings > Staff and Users > double click on your name.
- In the Security section, click Set Up.
- You can only enable and set up on your own account.
- The Two-Step Authentication method available in Smokeball uses an authenticator app downloaded on your mobile device.
- To enable two factor authentication, you will be required to complete a number of steps in verifying your identity, including:
- Your Smokeball password
- Your will first need to enter your Smokeball password.
- Mobile phone SMS verification.
- You will then enter your mobile phone to receive an SMS verification.
- An Authenticator app downloaded to your mobile device.
- Smokeball provides QR codes to download Google Authenticator on iOS or Android.
- Learn more about Google Authenticator
- Once the Authenticator app is downloaded, you will then use the Authenticator App to scan the QR code
- This links your Smokeball account to the device and Authenticator app.
- You will see an account created with 6 digit number generated every 30 seconds. Similar to below:
- Next you will be asked to enter this code generated on the app.
- Your Smokeball password
- Once complete, you will now have Two-Factor Authentication set up on your account and will be required to authenticate yourself using the Authenticator app when logging into Smokeball going forward.
- The Two-Factor Authentication will only be required when you are logged out of Smokeball. You will still be able to close and reopen Smokeball as normal without needing to log in.
- Note: If you have enabled Two-Factor Authentication and are logged into an older version of Smokeball (7.4 or earlier) on any other computer, that computer will be logged out upon restart.
Logging in to Smokeball with Two-Factor Authentication
- Once Two Factor Authentication has been enabled, you will now be required to verify yourself each time you log in to Smokeball (via desktop, billing or mobile).
Disabling Two-Factor Authentication
- To disable Two-Factor Authentication from your account, go to your user profile in the Staff list, which can be reached by going to Settings > Staff and Users > double click on the staff member's name.
- In the Security section, click Disable.
- You will need to enter your Smokeball password and your Authenticator code one last time to disable.
- When Two-Factor Authentication is enabled for an account, resetting or changing the user's password will require an SMS verification.
- When enabled, two-factor authentication will be required for logging into Smokeball desktop, Smokeball Mobile app, and Smokeball Billing.
- You can access Smokeball Billing more easily by clicking the Billing button in Smokeball desktop. This will bypass the need for two-factor authentication when accessing Billing.
- You can see which users have Two-Factor Authentication in the additional column in their Staff and Users tab in Settings.
If the second factor device is lost, please call Smokeball support at (855) 668-3207.