A Workflow is a series of tasks.
Workflows help eliminate extra admin work by allowing you to automatically designate tasks that happen for every matter.
The best way to think about what workflows to set up for your practice is to think about what areas of your current process are repetitive. If you are completing the same tasks for every matter of a specific type, it's best to set up a workflow.
See Apply a Workflow on how to apply an already created workflow.
How to Create a Workflow:
1. Navigate to Workflows in Smokeball Settings
- On the Workflows tab, click Add new
2. Initial set up of the workflow:
- (1) Enter a name for the Workflow (ie: Purchase)
- (2) Designate the relevant matter type(s) and check (recommended) apply the workflow automatically to the matters.
This option is helpful if you have recurring tasks that apply to every type of matter.
Note: You can choose to apply a workflow to matters later on. See Apply a Workflow for more information.
3. Create your Workflow.
- 1. Select New Task:
(1) Enter Name
(2) Select a Due Date, based on a number of days before, after or on a critical date, or upon completion of another task in the workflow.
(3) Assign the task. It is recommended you select Person Responsible or Person Assisting. Therefore if someone leaves your firm, once the matters are re-assigned, the tasks will also re-assign. If you select a specific staff member by name, tasks will not re-assign. If you need to assign to multiple people, select Staff.
You can also enter a Category for this task. Later on you can use these categories to filter your list of tasks to only show particular ones.
Categories, Details (any additional information for the task) and Hours (the expected time to complete the task) are not compulsory to fill in.
- You can also link a Form or Precedent letter from the Precedent Library to a task within a workflow.
- Follow steps above for the next tasks related to this workflow.
- Once all tasks are entered, select Save and Close" to complete the workflow
Did you know...
- You can reorder the tasks by selecting the task and using the up/down arrows.
- You can duplicate, delete, and export a workflow by right clicking on the individual workflow
Also see: How to Apply a Workflow