Learn how to record a trust payment for a matter in Smokeball Billing or Start.
- Open the matter that you wish to make a trust payment from, then select the Transactions tab.
- Select Trust Payment from the Trust Account view.
- From the Trust Payment window, enter the following details:
- Date processed – this is the date that the payment was made.
- Matter – make sure the matter is correctly selected.
- Paid to – type in the name of the party you’re making a payment to.
- If the party is a contact in Smokeball, select them from the dropdown menu.
- If the party does not exist in Smokeball, select the + and save their details.
- Amount – check the Available After Payment field matches your own records for this trust account.
- Type – select from Bank Transfer, Cash, Cheque or Credit Card.
- Payment Reference – this field will be greyed out if references are set to automatically generate.
- Transfer type – select whether the payment was made via Direct Deposit or BPAY.
- For Direct Deposits, enter the Account Name, BSB and Account Number of the payee.
- For BPAY payments, enter the Organisation/Company name, Biller Code and BPAY Reference number.
- Reason – why the trust payment was made.
- Internal note – further information that’s outside of the audit required reason.
- Tick Open PDF payment detail now if you wish to print or save the payment advice immediately.
- Select Process. If you ticked Open PDF payment detail now, the payment advice will open up in your browser’s PDF reader.
View all trust payments made
The Trust Account section in the Transactions tab of a matter will list all trust account transactions, including trust payments.
Trust payments will be denoted as Payment to in the Description column, along with the reason entered into the payment.
You can generate the payment detail at any time by selecting the three dots on the right-hand column of a trust payment.
Made a mistake in recording a trust payment? Learn how to reverse a trust payment.