Smokeball has made it easy to deal with Statutory Deposits. Simply follow the steps below:
Create the matter in Smokeball
- Create a General (or Conveyancing General) matter in Smokeball for Statutory Deposits
- Enter the client as the authority to whom you pay the Statutory Deposit funds (Law Society/LIV etc)
- Set the matter number as 999999
- Override the Description to read Statutory Deposit
- Save & Close out the matter
Identify the matter as a Statutory Deposit in Smokeball Billing
- Open Smokeball Billing Settings > Accounts
- Enter 999999 in the Statutory Deposit Matter box and select the matter you just created
- (If it doesn't appear, close settings and go back and ensure you closed the matter in Smokeball, then come back and try again)
- If you are using Smokeball Start, create the statutory deposit matter from the Matter section. Since the matter numbers are auto-generated, the matter number will not be 999999.
- Select Save.
9. Locate the matter and enter any payments or deposits as usual
- The Statutory Deposit matter balance will show in the Totals section of your Trial Balance report
- Any payment or receipt on this matter will appear in the list of reconciled payments or receipts the same as any other matter
- To get a report of all payments or receipts to your Statutory Deposit, you can select the PRINT button from the transactions Tab in the matter.