Set up specific matter configurations to keep you more organized by standardizing re:lines, folder structures, matter tags, stages, and more. Follow these steps:
Matter Configuration Basics
- Select File and then choose Smokeball Settings or select the gear icon.
- Select Add New in the Matter Configuration Settings.
- Note: Be sure to select a Matter Type for the Matter Configuration.
- Continue to enter in important details in the Re: Lines, Default Document Folders, Tags, etc. tabs to set up the configuration. The next section provides an overview of each tab.
Matter Configuration Features
Select the link to learn more about the Matter Configuration type.
Smokeball has default re: lines. Use this setting if you want to set up custom re: lines.
Set up your folder structure for all files within Matters.
Matter Tags are additional ways to categorize Matter Types. There are some suggestions of matters tags to use on Smokeball's Area of Law Practice Center.
Notes are default post it notes that appear in matters. This feature is often used as a check list for items that need to be received. If you are looking to create a "to-do" list, use Tasks and Workflows instead of Notes.
Time & Fees can default the Billing Type, Fee, and automatically create a fee entry.
Relevant URLs is a setting to use for Smokeball's "Publish Online" Feature. This feature allows you to take any file in Smokeball and upload it to a website. If you are looking to E-file, use Smokeball's integration with Infotrack for the best user experience.
Stages are where you set your default Matter Stage. Matter Stages are a way to track the status of your matters from start to finish. You can set up multiple types of stages that can be applied to matters.
Edit Matter configuration
- Double-click or right-click and select Edit of any existing Matter type to edit it.
- The image below shows matters that are already configured. The , means that information has been entered into those fields.