Tasks are a great way you or any staff in your firm never miss an important to-do.
Tasks can be assigned to specific staff members and given due dates, creating firm wide accountability.
If you have a series of tasks that repeat over and over every time you open a matter or work on a specific type of matter, you likely want to create a workflow.
Workflows are a series of repetitive tasks that you can use to auto-assign Tasks based on an action or critical date. Learn more about Workflows.
- From a matter or the home screen action bar, select the Task button.
- Make sure if you are creating tasks from the home screen to assign an appropriate matter.
- There are only a few required fields to create a simple task
- Name of the Task: what you need to get done.
- Assigned to: Select a staff member. You can assign a task to multiple people.
- Due: Select a due date
- Matter: the matter the task relevant for. If you are creating a task from a matter, the matter will be tagged by default.
- Tasks have optional additional options.
- Categories: You can create custom categories for your tasks. You can use these categories to organize your tasks in the Task View.
- Reminders: Set reminder notifications for the task.
- Details: Any specific notes you want to leave yourself about the task.
- Duration: Add a estimated duration for Auto:Time entries. Since you may not know how long the task will take, the best practice is often to leave this blank and manually enter appropriate time later.
- Sub tasks: On the right side of a task, you can add a checklist of sub-tasks
- Attach Documents: Link to a document from your existing Files or link to a Form & Template to allow for quick creation of a template.
- Add Comments, View Task History: Attach any file from a matter, add status comments, and see the history of the task over time.
- Select save to save the task. All tasks will appear in your Task tab of a matter
- Use the filters on the left side to change what tasks you can view.
Did You Know
- If you are using Auto:Time, the user that completes the task will see the task appear on the entry.
- Tasks can also be assigned to a matter other places in Smokeball.