The Smokeball Web App has everything you need for billing and managing matters in one place. You can access the web app from any device running a web browser - just log in with your Smokeball login details.
The Home Screen gives you access to everything you need:
- View your Matters, Contacts, Time & Fees, Invoices, Accounts, and Reports in the leftmost menu.
- Add a matter, event, lead, task, contact, time/fees, expenses, credit, and trust/operating retainer funds.
- Access Firm Settings, Support, and Search functionality using the buttons in the upper-right-hand corner. Learn more about Firm Settings.
- Use filters to narrow down the list of matters.
Using the Smokeball Search bar
Search for anything in Smokeball by using the client's name or matter number.
As you search, suggested results will appear. Select See all results for a more detailed search that includes contacts, matters, and invoices.
web app Views
Access all your Matters here.
- Use the filters to narrow your view by Matter Type, Matter Status, Attorney Responsible, and Trust Balance.
Scroll through the list of matters to find a matter.
- Alternatively, use the search bar to search by client name or matter number.
Click on a matter to open it.
- Note if you click on the name of a Client or Other Party, it will open their contact card.
Access to all your contacts here.
- Filter your view based on the role.
- Manage debtors with payment plans.
- Select any contact to see additional details, including contact information, matters, all invoices, transactions in trust & operating retainer accounts, and individual client payment plans.
Access your Smokeball calendar from the web app.
The filters are similar to the ones on Smokeball desktop. You can create an event by selecting the New Event button and entering information in the pop-up window.
Access your tasks here.
- Filter the list of tasks by Assignee or Due Date. You can also view deleted tasks by toggling on Show Deleted Tasks at the bottom of the screen.
- Click on a task to view basic details on it.
- Create a new task on the go.
Time and Fees
Similar to Smokeball desktop, the Time & Fees View is a place where you can review, edit, or create time, fee, and expense entries for any matter. Learn more about creating entries in Smokeball.
Create, draft, edit and finalise all invoices in this view.
- Use the filters to narrow down specific invoices in the list.
- Click on an invoice in the list to view more details and apply payments to it.
- Create new invoices, trust-to-office transfers and invoice reminders.
- View a running total of progress on your invoices across all matters and trust accounts.
Accounts are where you will manage all your Trust and Operating Retainer transactions.
You can also review your ledger. The web app has powerful features to help you manage your accounts including Trust Reconciliation and End-of-Month Processes.
Use the filters to view transactions by trust account or ledger and narrow them by date. You can also filter by a list of trust cheques and office payments.
Note: If an Evergreen Retainer is activated for your firm, you can access it here in Accounts.
Smokeball has the reports you need to manage all aspects of the billing cycle including trust, invoicing, matter overview, and time/expenses reports.
All reports include filters to customize your view and can be printed or exported as a PDF or CSV file.
If you can't find the information in the reports you need or have a request for a new report, reach out to your account manager.
View a list of reports available in the web app.